Sunday, September 08, 2013

Playing Truant

I get that I sort of abandon my blog every now and then. There's no real excuse, reason or pattern. I've stopped berating myself for it. Tonight I wanted to blog two lovely crosses I made in the last 24hrs for my friend who had 2 first communions to attend. She was feeling a bit low because she is in a bad financial situation and couldn't afford a small gift for the children. I wanted to ease her guilt because on child is her niece. When I realised the other child was her fiance's cousin and he'd be upset to gift one child and not the other, I hurriedly crocheted another. Thankfully my friend adored them and I am quietly confident the children will too.


This is Rachel Mohler's Easy Tatted Cross Variation 3
Tatted with 3 different Guetermann threads. I joined 2 picots on the rings making up the inner corners instead of just the one. It gave the cross much needed stability.

Crochet 'N' More's Picot Cross Bookmark
Thankfully a very simple design that worked up quickly. Thankfully, I had a scrap of ribbon laying around! This isn't the design I originally chose to crochet, but I am glad I did it. My only real dislike is the 2 separate pieces. I tacked them together (and tacked the ribbon in place too) for stability. Crocheted with size 10 cotton, lurex thread and a 1.75mm hook.

Both crosses were carefully ironed with a steam iron as I didn't have time to block them properly. The steam iron sufficed for the purpose, though proper blocking would have left better results. Sorry for the terrible pics, they were hurriedly taken on my phone before I raced out the door.


I have done plenty of craft during my hiatus, mostly sewing and scrapbooking. I've only been tatting again for a couple of weeks and man-o-man do I enjoy it! Why on earth did I stop? I can't say I am crocheting, I just happened to crochet the cross for speed.

0 comments: